Frequently Asked Questions Frequently Asked Questions

Council Rate Notices consists of 1 page, printed on both the front and back.

Council Water Consumption Notices consist of 1 page, printed on both the front and back.

Please see below for an example of the Rate Notice.


Front of Rates Notice

(Click to see Larger Image)

Back of Rates Notice

(Click to see Larger Image)


Please see below for an example of the Water Consumption Notice (click to see larger image):

Council adopted a simplified charging method for water from 1 July 2018. The simplified methodology for water will consist of the following:
  • An annual access charge that will be billed on your half yearly Rates Notice for all properties connected to Council’s water supply or capable of connection to the supply. Please note: 50% of your annual access charge will be billed on each half yearly Rates Notice; and
  • A water consumption charge – the amount you will pay for each kilolitre (1,000 litres) of water you use. A Water Consumption Notice will be issued half yearly for the majority of Mount Isa residential Ratepayers and quarterly for the majority of Mount Isa non-residential Ratepayers. Camooweal Ratepayers will receive half yearly Water Consumption Notices.
The annual access charge will appear on your Rate Notice dependent on the size of the meter on your property. Refer to the example of the Rates Notice for a residential property in Mount Isa with a 20mm water meter.
This replaces the previous water unit allocation system.

What are the Rates Issue Date and Due Date for the current Period?

Rates Notice Issue and Due Dates for 2019/2020 Financial Period are as follows:

First Levy (Period 1 July, 2019 to 31 December, 2019)

Issue Date: 16 September, 2019

Due Date: 17 October, 2019

Water Consumption Notice Q1 Non-Residential (Period 1 July 2019 to 30 September 2019)

Estimated Issue Date: November, 2019

Estimated Due Date: December, 2019

Water Consumption Notice Q2 Non-Residential (Period 1 October 2019 to 31 December 2019)

Water Consumption Notice 1st Half Year Residential (Period 1 July 2019 to 31 December 2019)

Estimated Issue Date: February, 2020

Estimated Due Date: March, 2020

Second Levy (Period 1 January, 2020 to 30 June, 2020)

Estimated Issue Date: March, 2020

Estimated Due Date: April, 2020

Can I Receive My Notices Electronically?

Unfortunately, we do not have an automated emailing system for Rates and Water Consumption notices. However, we do have BPAY View available. Should you wish to use this service to receive your notices via email, please contact your financial institution.

When is State Fire Levy charged?

The State Fire Levy Charge is a charge issued by the Queensland State Government and is applied to all rateable land within the State of Queensland.

The Mount Isa City Council acts as a collection agent only for this levy and applies it to property assessments once per annum in the July to December rating period. All enquiries should be directed to 13 74 68.

The Rate Notice for the January to June rating period will not have a State Fire Levy Charge.

Aged Pensioner Concession

The State Government provides a concession of 20% (up to a maximum of $200.00 per year) on all rates and charges levied by Council.

Council provides pensioners with a concession on General Rates & Utility Service Charges which is equivalent to 20% of the amount levied to a maximum of $200.00, plus an additional $80.00. No Council concession is provided on the State Fire Services Levy as it is a State Government Charge. No concession is offered on any separate or special charges, legal costs, charges on the land or interest on overdue rates.

Impact of Land Valuation on Rates

Land valuations are only one factor used to determine Rate levels. If you do not agree with the valuation of your property, you will need to contact the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy on 13 74 68.

I haven’t received my Rates Notice but have changed my address?

Council will post the Rate and Water Consumption Notices to the last known address registered in our records and it is the owner’s responsibility to notify Council in writing of any change of address. Council does not accept change of address over the telephone.

Is Council still offering Rates Payment Commitments?

Yes, we are happy to help you organise a Rates Payment Commitment.

If you have outstanding rates, we can work with you to determine a suitable payment commitment. The proposed regular payments should clear any outstanding rates before the issue of the next Rate Notice.

You will need to complete a Payment Commitment Application Form, which can be accessed on Council’s website under Rates & Charges/Payment Commitment. Alternatively, you can contact Council on 07 4747 3200 and speak to our friendly Customer Service Team.

If approved, your payment commitment will be confirmed in writing by Mount Isa City Council. Council advises Ratepayers who have submitted a payment commitment application to Council to commence payments immediately whilst your application is being reviewed.

If you are claiming for Financial Hardship, Council needs additional documentation to be submitted. Council requires this documentation to accurately, equitably and fairly review all applications, without this documentation you cannot be assessed for Financial Hardship. Council advises Ratepayers who have submitted a Financial Hardship application to Council to commence payments immediately whilst your application is being reviewed. For further information please view - Financial Hardship Information Form 2019/2020.

Why does my Rate Notice show an arrears amount?

Your account had an outstanding amount prior to the issuing of the current Rate or Water Consumption Notice therefore it shows as arrears on your current Notice. Rate and Water charges are all applied to the same account and therefor arrears may refer to outstanding amounts in relation to previous rate or water charges.

I believe I have paid my arrears – If you paid the outstanding amount prior to receiving your Notice the payment amount may not show if Council had submitted the file to our notice printers before your payment was received. Customer Service will be able to confirm if your payment was received and provide you with an updated balance.

What are my Payment Options?

PHONE: Council have an automated telephone service to pay your rates using your credit card.

Council accepts Master Card and Visa. Simply call 1300 885 175 and follow the prompts. You will be asked to enter the six-digit the Biller Code 196287 and then your Payment Reference Number from your Rates Notice.

BPAY: You may pay via BPAY, using the Biller Code 94052 and your Payment Reference Number from your Rates Notice.

ONLINE: Online payments can be made at PayWay Net by using the Biller Code 196287, and your Payment Reference Number from your Rates Notice; or 

At Post Billpay by using the Biller Code 2412 and your Payment Reference Number from your Rates Notice.

IN PERSON: To make a payment by Cash, Cheque, Eftpos or Credit Card;

Mount Isa City Council Administration Building
23 West Street,
Mount Isa

Camooweal Post Office
29 Barkly Street,

MAIL: All cheques should be made payable to:

‘Mount Isa City Council’
Mail Payments to: Chief Executive Officer, Mount Isa City Council, PO Box 815, Mount Isa QLD 4825

POST BILLPAY: Pay at your Participating Post Office. You will need to bring your Rates Notice.
Australia Post also offer payments online, please visit or by Phone on 13 18 16, use Biller Code 2412.

Where can I find my Payment Reference Number on my Rates Notice?

Your Payment Reference Number can be found on the front of your Rates Notice in the bottom right hand corner. It is also located on the back of your Rate Notice under the Payment Options.

Front of Rates Notice 

(Click to see Larger Image)

Back of Rates Notice

(Click to see Larger Image)

Dishonoured Cheques, Card Dishonour & Reversal Fees

Any payments made to your Council Rates & Charges and/or Water Notices that are dishonoured or reversed by your financial institution will incur dishonour fees. All fees will be charged to you.